Postgraduate Certificate in Restorative and Aesthetic Dentistry is delivered remotely via webinars, and peer and group discussion and break-out sessions, as well as face-to-face regional tutorial sessions.Certificate year (Year 1) – remote delivery via webinars and face-to-face regional tutorial sessions.
FGDP(UK) Postgraduate Certificate in Restorative and Aesthetic Dentistry.
The course qualifies for 70 verifiable hours of CPD.
This qualification is awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons of England. This means that it is of a high standard, and is recognised internationally.
- Current registration with the UK General Dental Council or equivalent in another country*.
- Successfully completed Foundation Training (or international equivalent).
- Be practising in an appropriate environment where there is sufficient demand for restorative dentistry (in order to develop cases for assessment).
- Hold an indemnity or insurance cover at an appropriate level.
- High level of competence in English (IELTS Level 7 or equivalent).
- Current certificate of immunisation.
- Training in basic CPR.
*‘It is a requirement of the course to have GDC registration to enable participation on hands on components of the course.'
Course content and structure
To minimise time away from practice all the units take place as Friday evening regional tutorials, with Saturday online webinars.
The Certificate year comprises seven units covering foundation learning elements as follows:
- Periodontics 1 (covering periodontal diagnosis, periodontal classification, epidemiology, treatment planning principles, self- care)
- Periodontics 2 (covering prognosis, non-surgical periodontal therapy, antimicrobials, management of furcations and perio-endo lesions)
- Occlusion 1 (covering occlusal and TMJ examination, demonstration of facebow, articulator selection and taking occlusal records for advanced cases)
- Occlusion 2 (covering casts, Michigan (stabilisation) splints, practical application of occlusion in clinical practice, (Dahl approach)
- Prosthodontics - current concepts in operative dentistry, contemporary tooth preparations, digital design of indirect restorations and soft tissue management.
The certificate teaches the latest techniques in restorative dentistry while embracing the importance of aesthetics and a minimally invasive approach. As with all FGDP courses, a firm emphasis is placed on evidence- based practice.
The Certificate year will comprise a range of formative assessments that will complement your work- based practice. These include mini case studies, assignments, regular journal clubs and learning cases. This will build progressively towards two substantive exam case studies.
Year one will build the foundation for the Diploma assessments, for those wishng to progress to the Diploma year. We use a broad range of approaches to enable you to demonstrate deeper knowledge and skills acquisition across the disciplines underpinning restorative surgery.
Our network of experienced tutors provide continuous support and guidance as you work towards meeting the assessment requirements for completing the programme. The small group tutor sessions are a central part of the course to ensure that the candidates have regular access for treatment planning of cases with an experienced restorative tutor. These regional, face-to-face groups will adhere to the Government’s latest social-distancing guidelines.
For Certificate year, candidates are required to complete:
- 10 prescribed ‘mini’ cases demonstrating a range of restorative procedure
- Attendance at all of the modules and successful completion of 5 assignments
- 2 full clinical cases (learning case standard)
Chair of the Course Management Board
Progression to Masters qualification
Should you wish to undertake further study, successful completion of the Certificate and Diploma will count towards an MSc run by the following university dental schools via the established articulated learning pathways:
In addition, both programmes can form part of your credentials when applying to Masters programmes elsewhere.
NEXT : Fees and dates