Ahead of this year’s CPD deadline, FGDP(UK) would like to remind Members and other dental professionals of development hours available through the Faculty.
The GDC requires dentists to complete 100 hours of verifiable Continuing Professional Development every five years, including 10 hours within any two year period. The deadline to complete CPD for this year is 31 July, with CPD statements recorded online by 28 August.
For those still needing to complete some hours by the end of July, on-demand CPD is currently available through:
FGDP(UK) Members have exclusive access to 60 hours of free CPD through the Primary Dental Journal. Each issue is accompanied by three hours' CPD, given upon successful completion of a related multiple choice quiz, and with quizzes available relating to 20 issues, there is wide range of themes and topics to study. To access the quizzes, Members should log in to the FGDP website and visit https://www.fgdp.org.uk/member-area/cpd-quizzes.
To read the related issues of the PDJ, Members should access the online PDJ library via https://www.fgdp.org.uk/member-area/primary-dental-journal – or consult their printed copies.
Over recent months, FGDP has co-hosted a series of webinars with the College of General Dentistry and Prodental CPD, which are available to view online for free:
- Why Colour is the Elephant in the Room (2 hours’ CPD)
- Dental care, COVID-19, and the role of the DCP (1 ½ hours’ CPD)
- The risk-based approach to COVID-19 (2 hours’ CPD)
- Health and wellbeing in dentistry (1 ¾ hours’ CPD)
- Myth busting and COVID-19 (1 ¾ hours’ CPD)
To check for future CPD webinars, visit https://www.fgdp.org.uk/events.
Third party resources
FGDP recommends the following online resources developed by third parties, each of which offers free CPD:
- National survey of antibiotic prescribing (1 hour’s CPD) (available until 31 August 2020)
- Antimicrobial stewardship e-learning modules (3 hours’ CPD)
- Alcohol (Identification and Brief Advice) module (1 hour’s CPD)
Looking beyond the upcoming deadline, FGDP’s educational programmes come with between 25 and 265 hours’ of CPD, and FGDP Members receive a discount of at least 10%.
CPD can also be accrued through participation in the FGDP’s divisional events and study days. While many events have been postponed due to the current pandemic, the following are currently scheduled:
- Perio in Practice and Dental Trauma (FGDP(UK) North West Study Day, 27 March 2021, Manchester)
- No more nails - The ultimate guide to complete dentures (FGDP(UK) Northern Study Day, 19 November 2021, Gateshead)